TheKoLWiki is changing its look - find out more here!
Jick has been pumping funny things on the internet since he was aware the internet was a thing. Tales tell that he honed his comic voice in email relays with his childhood friend, Mr Skullhead. The two of them also collaborated on the old Asymmetric Publications website, where Jick also posted his early game creations. He produced the first version of Kingdon of Loathing in a week, in an attempt to create a game that wasn't too serious. He was reportedly as surprised as anyone else when it took and became a surprise hit.
As admin, creator and omnisient KoL deity, Jick can change all facets of his character, including his stats and class, at will. He can also create and destroy items with nary a chat command, and usually starts his working day by wiping everything in his inventory.
Jick does two weekly Radio KoL shows: "120 Minutes of (Anything) with Jick and Mr Skullhead" (9 PM EST, Mondays) and "The Jick Show" (11 PM EST, Thursdays), where he is often accompanied by HotStuff and/or Riff. You can also find him livestreaming gameplay development on Twitch. He also produces two of the three podcasts in the Hot Dog Network.
Profile and Trappings
He is in his own clan called Styrofoam Nuns, Inc. (previously Jumbucks in a Tuckerbag, The Clapboard Posterhangers, Clan Chefboy, in reverse chronological order).
When viewing his profile, it used to say "This player is currently Jick." due to the fact that during ascension testing, players who had ascended had profiles which said "'Sorry, this player is currently helping Jick test the ascension code, and his or her profile cannot be viewed." Many pointed out the problem of Jick assisting Jick, and it was changed.
While Jick doesn't need any custom items to his name, he does have a few Jick-exclusive testing tools in his account. His Jickinator automatically wins fights by setting the monster's HP to 0, while his Jick-o-loser sets his own HP to 0 to autolose. His test case is the envy of item farmers everywhere. His butt dropped some goodies on April Fool's Day 2011.
Jick can never fail running away from a fight.
- Nothing can stop you from running away -- you own the place!
Jick also never dies. When he gets Beaten Up, he loses the effect and all HP is restored:
- <Message here>
Jick's name appears purple or red in chat.
Players cannot buff Jick. Attempting to do so results in this message:
- Hi -- thanks for trying to buff me, but I don't really need it.
- - Jick
It is also impossible to brick Jick. Attempting to do so results in this message:
- Brick is no longer jickable. It was fun while it lasted.
It is, however, possible to use curse items like jawbruisers, rolls of toilet paper, and wangs on him. Since he can wipe any effects from himself immediately with the "/nofx" chat command, it's a bit of a waste of time.
Jick's Psychoanalytic Jar
When viewing Jick's profile, if you have a psychoanalytic jar in inventory, and the remainder of your player ID number divided by 23 is today's "magic number", you will see a "Use psychoanalytic jar on him" button. Clicking this will give you a jar of psychoses (Jick). See the jar's page for more information about the magic number.
Attempting to analyze Jick more than once in a day results in "You've already performed one especially complicated psychoanalysis today. That's quite enough.".
Ascending afterward, and acquiring a second psychoanalytic jar, allows you to create a second jar of psychoses (Jick) in the same day.
Jick's real name is Zachary Johnson. He is also known as El Perezoso and, in times immemorial, Zurd.
Jick's birthday is 7/7/1976. He announced that he turned 31 on 7/7/07 on the 9/6/07 radio show.
At time of writing, he splits his time between living in Mesa, AZ, and San Francisco.
In the early morning hours of February 15, 2006, Jick announced on Radio KoL that he was going to be married to his then-girlfriend Phoenix (#4403) on February 16. They later divorced some time in 2009.
Past custom avatars
- Magic 8 Ball Says: Sex High School Girls
- Mr. Phoenix
- Kicker of Elves
- The Saturday-Only Discount Pork Swastika
- Captain Lou Albino
- Scruffy Nerf Herder
- The <level> pound Birthday Creature
- Apple juice! For half price!
- King of Nerfs
- sorry 4 being kinda a dick on the forum
- <---- Insert Bigger Brain Here
- I hope you like the taste of SOLUTIONS!
- Filthy Spy!
- Feeling lucky, Jarhead?
- Two Weeks
- <3 <3 <3
- Has the Colon of a <level>-Year-Old
- Stop Stealing My Beans, Damnit
- Brimming with Crimbo Spirit
- Krakrox the Barbarian (singleplayer browsergame)
- Word Realms (singleplayer videogame)
- Mr. Card Game (multiplayer cardgame)
- Horrible Farm (multiplayer cardgame) (in development)
- Trying to view Jick's ascension history results in:
- This is a secret.
- First noticed at 8:30 PM EST January 1, 2015, Jick's profile was marked private due to spoiling new content. It was marked public again on January 8. While it was private, this message was displayed in place of the profile:
- Viewing Jick's profile is causing some goofy bugs due to unreleased content, so it's currently marked private.
- Starting February 6, 2015, doing a /whois 1 or /whois Jick led to no response in chat, producing an internal 500 error. However, getting to showplayer.php?who=1 still worked and suggests that the hidden chat response is a bug.
- Jick's title "Apple juice! For half price!" and clan name "Styrofoam Nuns" are quotes from the Star Trek parody video Happy in Paraguay, which Jick quite enjoyed.