History of Loathing (2014)
These pages shall contain the history of the Kingdom of Loathing.
For an annotated list of changes to the game, see Changes.
|Table of contents|
|2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018|
January 05, 2014
- The mists in the big mountain are gathering again, and we expect them to have gathered completely by rollover on Monday night.
January 06, 2014
- With a poof and a ho, and a ho and a ho, Crimbo Town once again vanishes into the mountain mists.
January 07, 2014
- A few new variations on the basic class avatars are now available to everyone in the Account menu.
- Running away from a fight now causes you to drop any Meat you gained during that fight.
January 13, 2014
- Right-clicking familiars in your terrarium now produces a list of equipment to equip in their equipment slot. Go ahead, try it.
January 14, 2014
- Heads up -- today would be a bad day to leave BHH bounties unfinished at rollover.
- The Bounty Hunter Hunter has found himself, in the most unexpected of places -- his own shack.
January 20, 2014
- 2014's Items-of-the-Year are now available in Mr. Store. Also, 2014 begins on January 20th. Who knows when it'll end!
January 21, 2014
- There is now a "New Stuff" search category in the Mall, for "stuff" that is "new". Thanks, Uncle CDMoyer!
January 31, 2014
February 05, 2014
- The Hidden Hospital part of the level 11 quest will now always eventually resolve, no matter how bad you are at playing doctor.
February 07, 2014
February 12, 2014
- Clan forums now have a quick reply box, combat macros have a snarfblat predicate, and chat macros now support one level of macros in macros.
February 14, 2014
- The next Challenge Path, the Avatar of Sneaky Pete, has arrived. Everyone try and stay cool.
February 17, 2014
- Funny story: Pixel orbs, corrupted startdust and bottles of Blank-Out can now be used only once per day each. Okay, I lied about it being funny.
- The end boss of an Age of Sneaky Pete run should now properly drop Instant Karma.
February 19, 2014
- A big new chunk of stuff is here! Right here in Level 11 City! A new quest that provides an alternative to the pirates for reaching the Palindome.
New zones! New monsters! New items! New everything!
February 20, 2014
- The Blue Oyster Cultist now correctly drops an item he should have been dropping yesterday.
February 25, 2014
- The Kingdom's mosquitos got significantly more powerful today. They're probably still not very powerful, though.
February 28, 2014
- The Palindome has been replaced with a slightly different Palindome. Now with more wet rare paper art. Ew!
- There's a new quest available for shirts and people who love shirts and people who don't know what shirts are. Shirts.
- March's Item-of-the-Month, Sneaky Pete's leather jacket, is in style (and in Mr. Store) now.
- It's an eleventh anniversary anti-spectacular! All this month, for the low low price of slightly higher than normal, get a cool new thing!
March 02, 2014
- A couple of things that were broken by the Disco Bandit revamp are now no longer broken. Disco never dies, baby.
March 03, 2014
- The in-fight Monster Manuel icon should no longer be... tabbable-to? It's tab-skipped now. You can hit tab and it won't go to it.
March 06, 2014
- For people who don't already have it unlocked by level 6ish, there's a new quest for opening the Hidden Temple.
March 07, 2014
- The workoutfit wasn't quite working out, so we exercised our right to change the outfit bonus.
March 10, 2014
- Sonofa Beach now periodically guarantees a lobsterfrogman encounter, hopefully preventing terminal cases of bad luck.
March 11, 2014
- Mr. Card Game, a KoL board game by Evertide Games, is now available. You can find details in the Store of Loathing.
March 18, 2014
- The quest tracker should now be less dumb about hiding things.
March 24, 2014
- Fixed a bug that made elemental tuning on Weapon of the Pastalord weird. Probably un-fixed a previous bug. Only time will tell.
March 31, 2014
April 06, 2014
- By popular demand from like 8 years ago, display case shelves can now be re-ordered.
April 08, 2014
- If you haven't yet had enough of hearing Jick talk about video games, check out Episode 12 of the Red Pages Podcast.
April 18, 2014
- Hey hey, cool cool artists! The 2015 KoL Calendar Contest has begun! Check it out here.
April 21, 2014
- The Dice Tower has done a video review of Mr. Card Game. Check it out! here on YouTube.
April 29, 2014
- If, like us, you just can't get enough Riff, check him out on the latest episode of the Abject Suffering podcast!
April 30, 2014
May 02, 2014
- Spring Break Beach quests should correctly show up in the Quest Log now.
May 07, 2014
- You can now take a break from taking a break in the Diner. Taking a break doesn't take an Adventure, but it does take a break.
May 14, 2014
- It's a new challenge path! The boring summer one. You get 100 turns per day and can't get more. Slow and Steady!
- Spookyraven Manor has been thoroughly revamped. Six new zones! And over 100 new items and a bunch of new quests.
May 15, 2014
- The Staff of the Electric Range can now be jiggled. We apologize for the inexcusable period of non-jigglability.
- Ignoring books in the Spookyraven library now makes them stay away for 10 Adventures. Reading is for dorks!
- Volleyball-type and Sombrero-type familiars have been improved in various ways, and now display how many extra stats they give.
May 16, 2014
- Henry "Dakota" Fanning is now sending people on goose chases that are slightly less wild while unlocking the Hidden Temple.
- We had a staff meeting and decided to make it so the Staff of Fats is now an actual staff.
- Our accidentally hot kitchen drawers are now correctly stinky. If you can't stand the stench, get out of our drawers.
May 18, 2014
May 19, 2014
- Entangling Noodles is now castable once per fight even if you're not a Pastamancer.
- The Black Forest got jiggleshifted. It's like getting shufflejuggled, but more... subtle.
May 24, 2014
May 30, 2014
- The other accomplishments section of the Quest Log now tells you how good you are at playing pool, unless you are zero good at it.
May 31, 2014
- June's Item-of-the-Month is going to be a couple or three days late -- we need a bit more time to scrape the crud off of it.
June 01, 2014
- The galoshes made by the blackberry cobbler can now be worn by people who are less cool. Specifically, 15 less cool.
June 02, 2014
- June's Item-of-the-Month is no longer late. That's how that works, right? It's in Mr. Store now! It's a cool grill!
- The Ancient Buried Pyramid has been Ancient Buried Revamped. It's only really a little bit revamped. You'll hardly notice.
- The maximum number of stat points provided by a Sombrero-type familiar has changed from 100 to 230, and the minimum from 0 to 1.
June 05, 2014
- Giving a familiar a blank name will now re-trigger the thing that randomly generated its name in the first place.
June 09, 2014
- Whitey's Grove has undergone some minor miscellaneous improvements.
- Starting the level 12 quest no longer requires you to have gotten into the Palindome.
June 12, 2014
- It's... Interface Thursday? Your inventory now has a tab that shows recently-acquired items. You can change the number in the Options menu.
- Snakehead charrrms now combine via [use] instead of Meat Paste, thus making it possible once again to do that via chat command.
June 13, 2014
- Fixed a problem that was making hatrack / scarecrow sombrero messages not show up, and also wrote a name generator for scarecrows.
June 14, 2014
- Sheesh! Welcome to the Kingdom, Redditors, and thank you to quwertie for opening up the floodgates!
June 15, 2014
- New players now get a one-time-only "get out of drunk free card" the first time they overdrink. It isn't an actual card.
- Remember: One week from 35 minutes from the time of this posting, our second Twitch live development event will happen!
June 18, 2014
- To avoid goofiness caused by the horrors of war, the Frattlesnake is no longer in the pool of targets for Shen Copperheads quests.
- Issue 5 of the KoL Comic is now available in the Store of Loathing!
June 22, 2014
- The Time-Twitching Tower will continue to Terrorize Town until later Tonight!
June 23, 2014
- Congratulations to Mme_Defarge, who just completed her 1,000th ascension! Holy moly!
June 24, 2014
- The helix fossil now has an fiction-appropriate name generator attached to it. Sample names: ;CDDDDDDDD WWWWWWWWWW M?;;:-G-,,
June 27, 2014
- Food and booze items that give PvP fights instead of Adventures now say so in their descriptions.
June 30, 2014
- July's Item-of-the-Month will be a day or two late. But unlike Tom Cruise, it will be born BEFORE the Fourth of July.
July 02, 2014
- July's Item-of-the-Month, then clan speakeasy, is now available in Mr. Store, if you know the password.
- We're going to be doing some work at the data center Thursday morning that may result in brief periods of downtime.
July 15, 2014
- The method by which Turtle Tamers tame turtles has been rejiggered and simplified. Also, many more turtles have been added.
July 22, 2014
- KoL Con XI tickets are now available in the Store of Loathing. Get 'em while they're hot!
- Monster Manuel now grants access to over thirty new additional avatar-changing potions.
July 31, 2014
- We aaaaalmost made it, but we need a little more time to put the finishing touches on August's Item-of-the-Month. Tune in tomorrow.
August 01, 2014
- August's January's August's Item-of-the-Month, The Confiscator's Grimoire, is now available in Mr. Store.
- Also, the iconic top menu has been replaced with a far more functional and user-configurable version of itself. Check it out!
August 04, 2014
- The default familiar name generator has been given a fresh coat of arms. Paint arms. Paint.
- The familiar name manager now supports the new default names. Know that I do not approve of this specific use of this feature.
August 05, 2014
- Fixed some missing stat recommendations that were causing some zones to contain wimpier turtles than intended.
August 06, 2014
- Owing to hobo regulatory capture, boxcar turtles are now once again permitted to ride the rails of Hobopolis.
- A bunch of icon options have been added to the top menu by player request. You might have to reload the frame to see them.
August 14, 2014
- The turn-in process and rewards for the Bat Hole and Cyrpt quests have been simplified. The badass belt remains badass.
- Fall's extra-challenging Challenge Path, Heavy Rains, is available now. Just like on your wedding day!
August 16, 2014
- You've been crying, so I've been fixing, and the Rain King correctly drops Instant Karma now.
- Similarly, the damp version of the Goblin King now drops the lab key if you don't already have it.
- Thunder and Lightning and Rain power readouts now show up in the compact character pane.
August 18, 2014
- Rainbow Gravitation has been given back the friendly error output I took away from it like a big mean jerk. Also now costs 0 MP.
- The way the Smile of Mr. Accessory skill works on the backend has changed. Please report any problems you encounter with it.
- Coming to KoL Con? Only one week left to pre-order your KoL Con XI shirt from the Store of Loathing.
August 19, 2014
- There was an item missing from the freshwater fishbone crafting thing. That item is no longer missing.
August 23, 2014
- Don't forget -- tomorrow at noon PDT we're doing the next live content development / world event on twitch.tv!
August 24, 2014
- We just started streaming our new Roman Times event on Twitch! Come join us!
- We've taken a first stab at making the game mobile-friendly. You will see it automatically on many devices. Alternatively, it can be activated (or deactivated) from the Options Menu. (Be gentle, this is totally a beta.)
August 31, 2014
- September's Item-of-the-Month, Thor's Pliers, is... are now available in Mr. Store. Zzzzzzzzot!
- Ahoy there, matey! PvP Season 15 has started and Swagger Jack has something new in his store. Yarrr!
September 01, 2014
- Various parts of Seaside Town have been shuffled around in an effort to make room for various other parts of Seaside Town.
- The Council's Adventurer Signal is now visible from space. Did you know that when you look at the Main Map you're in space?
- Sugar sheets now use the standard shop interface, which means you can use /buy to make those items now, Sugar.
September 16, 2014
- There were some things associated with the Con item that weren't pushed to the live servers, but now They Are Live.
September 19, 2014
- The old Whitey's Grove quest has been replaced with something new! And less reliant on you having seen one particular movie!
September 25, 2014
- There's a new sheriff in town, and that sheriff is an Odd Jobs Board, at which you can spend turns a bunch at a time when you're too busy to play normally.
September 26, 2014
September 29, 2014
- The sixth and final issue of the KoL Comic is now available for sale in the Store of Loathing! Also, 2015 Calendars! Partake in our capitalist ways.
- It's looking like October's Item-of-the-Month is going to be a couple of days late. It's so scary that it's hard to work on.
October 02, 2014
- Mr. Skullhead is doing a Kickstarter for a trade paperback of the first 6 issues of the Comic of Loathing.
October 03, 2014
October 22, 2014
- On Saturday Oct. 25th at noon MST, Riff will be streaming a 24h Persona 3 marathon for the Extra-Life charity. Come watch at twitch.tv/lycrashampoo!
October 30, 2014
October 31, 2014
November 07, 2014
- The Naughty Sorceress and her pets have had a... let's call it a falling out.
November 09, 2014
- Transmissions from planet Xi now always give the same items the first two times you use them.
November 10, 2014
- We are sad to announce that as of November 15, Mr. Skullhead will no longer be an employee of Asymmetric. See his announcement here.
November 12, 2014
- It's a revamped skills interface! It's got features galore. It's available in all the old familiar places.
November 13, 2014
- The Store of Loathing will be closing on December 1. Place your Christmas orders now, for this and all future Christmases.
We are investigating third-party merchandise options, but nothing materialized in time to avoid a gap. Stay tuned early next year.
November 14, 2014
November 19, 2014
- Almost forgot -- Jick was a guest on a recent episode of the Overthinking It podcast.
- Picky tweezers now do a thing.
November 22, 2014
- We are streaming a few hours of live Wild West development on Twitch TV right now.
November 30, 2014
- The descriptions of monsters with stealable accordions now mention their accordions, like they should have for a year. Grrrr.
- December's Item-of-the-Month will be... one morning late. I expect it to be available mid-day tomorrow.
- Happy December, everyone! Check your campground for an Advent surprise. (It's a calendar. Sorry to spoil the surprise.)
Also, a curious camp has sprung up, seemingly overnight, on Desert Beach. What could it portend?
Find out in a week.
December 01, 2014
- General Store is now selling sneaky wrapping paper, which you can use to hide gifts for other players all over the Kingdom.
- December's Item-of-the-Month, the Crimbo Shrub familiar, is now available in Mr. Store. Decorate it! It's festive!
December 02, 2014
- To help pave the way for a slight restructuring of Mr. Store, sales of the Ms. Accessory will be discontinued in 5 days.
December 04, 2014
- PVPers: If you are using Modern (Tabbed) Chat, Huggler Radio will now get a special tab, all its own. (This can be toggled by using the radio.)
- We can now post trivial updates without auto-tweeting them. Expect more trivial updates.
December 05, 2014
- Oh right, trivials. The Big Mountains got Bigger and Mountainser yesterday.
December 07, 2014
- Mr. Store has a few more things, a few fewer things, and an option to set up a recurring subscription via Amazon.
- The Crimbonium mining camp on Desert Beach is now bustling with Yuletide industry.
December 08, 2014
- In preparation for the upcoming NS Tower revamp, the Wand of Nagamar has been made into a quiet stem. I mean a quest item.
December 09, 2014
- Lord Spookyraven has been retroactively given the ability to have jilted more than one mistress per day.
- The Crackpot Mystic is no longer secretive about the things you don't have enough pixels for him to make.
- There is now a link to the subscription management page on the account menu. The Account section of the account menu. Account.
- The Crimbonium Mining Camp's AI has determined that it can operate more efficiently by using a cheaper joint-lubricating oil.
December 10, 2014
- The shambling, idiot corpses of random people are no longer the most cunning pickpockets in the world.
- Nog lovers rejoice, gamma nog is now a viable PvP beverage. (Sorry, that one angry person who took one for the team.)
December 14, 2014
December 15, 2014
- The staph of homophones no longer screws up the Crimbot factory. Flasks of mining oil, tainted or untainted, are now multi-usable.
December 17, 2014
- All of the stuff that should've been taken care of during last night's half-assed content rollout should now be fully assed.
December 18, 2014
December 19, 2014
- Forgot to mention this yesterday -- you now get a little notice when monsters critically hit.
- The place where you turn in the underwear and magazines and stuff now tells you how many Crimbo Credits you've got on hand.
December 20, 2014
- The entirety of the Fully Automated Crimbo Factory is now available, and the vending machine is fully stocked. Happy Crimbo!
December 22, 2014
December 26, 2014
- At rollover on December 31, a new version of the Naughty Sorceress' Tower quest will be rolled out. If you are in the middle of the old quest at that time, your progress will be reset to the bottom of the new tower. If you've finished the old one, you'll have finished the new one.
- Owing to Jick's classic holiday tradition of biting off more Christmas fudge than he can realistically chew, 2015's Familiars of the Year will be pretty late to the party. Let's call... it Monday the 12th.
December 30, 2014
- Crimbo Town will be fading back into the mists at rollover on Wednesday night. Bot 'em while you got 'em.
December 31, 2014
- January's Item-of-the-Month is now available in Mr. Store. It's a key to a cool hotel room in the Big Mountains.
- The Naughty Sorceress' Tower has been burned down and replaced with a different tower.
- There is a new alternative to the current Challenge Path for earning bonus Karma. The Museum has grown an extra floor and been streamlined to reflect the new ascension thing.
- Sometime before August 7, 2014, the first entry for August 1, 2014, read:
- January's Item-of-the-Month, The Confiscator's Grimoire, is now available in Mr. Store.
|History of Loathing||2003||2004||2005||2006||2007||2008||2009||2010||2011||2012||2013||2014||2015||2016||2017||2018|