History of Loathing (2013)
These pages shall contain the history of the Kingdom of Loathing.
For an annotated list of changes to the game, see Changes.
January 06, 2013
January 08, 2013
January 14, 2013
January 15, 2013
- That whole "make as many as possible" thing has been added to the new Mystic interface.
January 25, 2013
- You can now use more than one psychoanalytic jar per day. This does not apply to jars used on extra-crazy people.
January 27, 2013
- Zone stat warnings no longer trigger if you have Teleportitis. It took four tries to post this trivial update in the right place.
- KoL's very own Jick is a guest on the second episode of Bonfireside Chat, a sweet podcast about Dark Souls.
January 29, 2013
- Avatar-changing items unlocked by Monster Manuel are now relegated to a lonely, cold, dark little corner of your inventory. -snif-
January 31, 2013
February 05, 2013
- Skills or buffs that grant an effect now link to that effect's description in their description. Click and learn!
- Resting at your campsite now removes Beaten Up.
- Food and non-booze beverages now show their size in their descriptions. Not that non-booze beverages are of any interest to anybody.
February 14, 2013
February 15, 2013
February 17, 2013
February 18, 2013
February 19, 2013
- You can now get a normal description popup by right-clicking an icon on Jarlsberg's skill page. Also it works better in IE8 now.
February 20, 2013
- Jick was a guest on a recent episode of The Ludology Podcast. Check it out here if you want.
February 26, 2013
February 28, 2013
March 01, 2013
March 04, 2013
- You'll now get some bonus Karma the first time you do any challenge path, even if it's no longer the current one.
- Consumables are now sortable by size and "things I can use" now understands Jick^H^H^H^H^Jarlsberg's germ phobia.
March 07, 2013
- The advanced filtering and sorting feature of inventory just got significantly more advanced. It is still precisely as sorting as it was before.
You can now filter items by name, making it much easier to find stuff, and you can set up custom inventory tabs to help you organize the, like, fifty billion things we keep giving you.
March 08, 2013
- Our March-long effort to finally make some progress in The Sea has begun! Minor early tweaks abound.
See details in this forum post.
March 09, 2013
March 10, 2013
March 13, 2013
- Wednesday's Watery Work: Seven Sea Semirares.
March 15, 2013
March 17, 2013
- The Sea Cape is a little better. This will hopefully assuage any Cape Fear you might have been experiencing.
March 30, 2013
- We fell asleep for an entire week, but the next installment of Sea content is now available. There's a whole bunch of it!
Discuss it in the forums here!
March 31, 2013
- April's Item-of-the-Month is now available in Mr. Store.
Also, we made some great connections at GDC this year and will have some exciting news to share over the next two weeks!
April 08, 2013
- Gladiators in the Sea are now resistant to same-round stuns. (We call those "staggers" in case you want to talk like us cool kids.)
April 09, 2013
April 11, 2013
- There is no such thing as a vampire cape.
- In celebration of the end of the sixth week of March, the last stage has been added to the Sea Monkee quest.
April 16, 2013
- Your newest underwater gear is worth the sea salt crystals it smashes into now (like it always should have).
April 21, 2013
- Mer-kin High Priests and Colosseum Champions are invited to the temple for the annual Fifty-Second of March Celebration.
April 23, 2013
- The pre-Groar Icy Peak now has some Last Adventure stuff going on.
April 24, 2013
- The stars smile on us today, by which I mean star charts are now much friendlier to use.
April 26, 2013
April 29, 2013
April 30, 2013
May 06, 2013
- Swarms of ghuol whelps will now prevent autoattack from firing.
May 08, 2013
- Items gotten as a reward from the Old Man now properly support right-clicking.
May 09, 2013
- There might be some periods of downtime this morning -- we're going to the data center to randomly unplug things and plug them into other things.
May 14, 2013
- Summer 2013's Challenge Path is a thing now. Big! You start out with high stats, but the monsters are tougher, too.
- Ascensions now start counting days on the day you reincarnate, rather than the day you jumped the gash.
- You are now unable to begin a new non-casual reincarnation on a day when you already began a non-casual reincarnation. Yeah.
May 22, 2013
- A change has been made to the way ranged weapon damage is calculated. See details in this forum thread.
Also, Moxious Maneuver is now no longer a thing. And after ten years, Jick breathed a sigh of relief.
- Dolphin whistles no longer have a 10-turn cooldown. Blow 'em if you got 'em.
May 30, 2013
May 31, 2013
June 06, 2013
- Little Canadia has had a makeover. It has a spunky new hairdo and a sweet new quest.
- Fixed a very old bug that was preventing bonus elemental spell damage from being applied to some spells.
- Made the second and third damage-o-blasts from Hobopolis spells actually count as spells for various purposes. Lanterns greener.
- Pinch Ghost, which had one job, is now no longer terrible at its job.
June 11, 2013
- Oil pans should now properly allow the casting of Sauceror buffs.
- Fixed a weird case that would stop Sven Golly from letting you give dudes things in a place. That place also has pictures now.
June 18, 2013
- Added an alternate display option for Monster Manuel's combat stats. See your Combat Options menu for details.
- By popular request, a new thing has been added which, like all the good things in life, involves a large number of skeletons.
- You can now filter Monster Manuel to only show monsters that you have partially researched.
- Once you've gotten a perfect score on Dungeon Fist, you should now get a button to auto-finish it.
June 26, 2013
- You may now show off your Monster Manuel fact gathering skills on your profile. (Enable it in on the Privacy tab of the Options page.)
- The PvP ranks section of the profile has been cleaned up and King of the Hill time for the current season is now displayed.
- Sorting and filtering inventory options should now be remembered between logins. (Because those pages are now elephant powered.)
June 30, 2013
- July's Item of the Month will be at least a couple of days late. Sorry. There is no Internet where we are right now.
July 02, 2013
- You can now show off how many recipes you've discovered. Enable it on the privacy tab of the options menu.
July 03, 2013
July 09, 2013
- Item descriptions for reusable combat items now say (reusable) on them. To indicate that the combat item is reusable.
July 11, 2013
- Food and booze items that grant effects now display the effect they grant in their description pop-up. Thanks, Uncle CDM!
July 17, 2013
- CDMoyer strikes again with WEDNESDAY INTERFACE MADNESS!
Effects from items and skills now get an arrow next to them that can be clicked to re-use the item or skill.
Also, if you have anti-anti-antidotes or soft green echo whatever drops in inventory, you can right click on any effect for the option to use the appropriate item to dispel it.
If you are a hating hater who hates everything, these features can be turned off in your Options menu.
July 27, 2013
- Welcome to Dreadsylvania! Our newest clan dungeon is now available for the Adventuring pleasure of you and your close friends!
- You can now save up to 99 custom outfits. One for each of your problems.
- Elemental phials must now be made with new higher-level ingredients. Old phials have been converted to lotions.
July 29, 2013
- Blessed large boxes can now be used in quantity. Blessed large boxes can now be used in quantity.
- A large number of minor Dreadsylvania bugs were fixed. We now feel confident that there are zero bugs, and also that 1 equals 2.
- Giving the Carriageman booze now shows up in the clan dungeon logs. Giving the Carriageman logs will get you punched.
July 31, 2013
August 01, 2013
- Mr. Store has the cool you need to rule the school. Pick up August's Item of the Month, the Folder Holder, and dazzle your classmates with your personalized style.
August 07, 2013
- Tickets for KoL Con X are now available in the Store of Loathing.
Come join us! It'll be delightful, you'll see!
August 14, 2013
- The smut orc pervert is no longer fax/puttyable. Other stuff was tweaked to make this less annoying.
- Fall 2013's Challenge Path is here. Now your dreams of showing up to high school in your underwear can become reality!
August 17, 2013
August 24, 2013
August 26, 2013
August 27, 2013
- The gnolls of Degrassi Knoll have renovated. In a perfect world, they would've novated correctly the first time, but hey.
August 29, 2013
- Fixed an infinite Meat bug. Yikes! Thanks a million to KbobK for responsibly reporting it.
August 30, 2013
- Desert Beach has been given a new coat of paint, and The Shore has been given a new coat of basically everything.
August 31, 2013
September 03, 2013
September 06, 2013
- Jick sez: I probably broke a bunch of minor stuff over the last couple of hours. Stay tuned for future trivials where I fix them!
September 08, 2013
- The Jack-in-the-Box has been made more powerful and less predictable. The secret tiny knife the clown had is now uselessly dull.
September 13, 2013
- The Mall store management interface has been redone, and you can now stock your store from Hagnk's. You can also now purchase things in-run using meat from Hagnk's, which is also where those things will go after they're purchased.
September 17, 2013
September 18, 2013
- Scaling monsters now award stats based on your mainstat, rather than (because of the way scaling works) your Moxie.
September 24, 2013
September 25, 2013
- The incursion from the Infernal Abyss continues. Why did it have to be seals?
September 26, 2013
- As the Infernal Incursion reaches a fever pitch, the Seal Clubbers of Loathing step up their game!
See your friendly neighborhood Seal Clubber trainer for a whole passel of new skills! Also note that a bunch of old Seal Clubber skills have undergone some changes.
September 27, 2013
- Fixed a bug in the Lunging Thrust Smack code that made it so it wasn't hitting as often after the revamp.
September 28, 2013
- Fixed a stupid bug that was making the Toot Oriole's tasks impossible to complete. Welcome to the Kingdom, and sorry!
September 30, 2013
October 08, 2013
October 09, 2013
- Fixed a display issue that was making Fury look like it was giving too little bonus damage.
October 19, 2013
October 21, 2013
October 24, 2013
October 25, 2013
- Break one nine one. The new walkie-talkie is now a free pull from Hagnk's. Over.
October 29, 2013
- The Desert/Oasis part of the level 11 quest is now differenter than it used to be. If you were partway through it, sorry, baby, but we had to crash that Honda.
October 30, 2013
- On the advice of guild UI consultants, guild trainers no longer display skills you've already purchased.
- To correct an ancient oversight, the bounty hunting pants now have a slightly better enchantment.
- A strange awakening of amazing new powers has occurred among the Accordion Thieves of Loathing.
October 31, 2013
- KoL's own Jick was a guest on the most recent episode of Idle Thumbs.
- November's Item-of-the-Month, Pantsgiving, is now available in Mr. Store. We hope you are as thankful for them as we are.
Also, it's a brand new PvP season!
- Fixed a bug that would briefly turn you into CDMoyer, output the word "balls" and then log you out.
November 06, 2013
November 07, 2013
November 11, 2013
- In unrelated news, the ancient text-only top menu now has a link to the community page, which you may not have known about prior to a few minutes ago.
- and the unrelated news:
- Hey, guess what! I just made it so you can ask podcast questions without a forum account if you go to the community page within KoL. So do that, if you want.
November 12, 2013
- Strange things are afoot. Strange, artificial, heavily processed things.
November 13, 2013
- The HoBoCoBo glyph that was lost in the desert is now found in the desert.
November 14, 2013
- It is the day when everything happens all at once!
The invasion of the terrible pasta and sauce creations has hit its apex, leading to a dramatic shift in both the politics and the magical ministrations of the Pastamancers and Saucerors of this great Kingdom.
This year's winter Challenge Path is also a thing, specifically a thing called Class Act 2. Check out this forum thread for details.
Also the Seal Clubber skill Eye of the Stoat has been replaced with a new, more interesting skill. All of the passive benefits of Eye of the Stoat have just been cooked into the skills it modified, so nothing has been lost.
- The interface for putting equipment on familiars got way less stupid. Thanks, CDM!
November 19, 2013
- Do Not Open 'Til Crimbo boxes are now available. Happy pre-Thanksgiving.
- Crass commercialism ahoy: 2014 KoL Calendar, KoL Comic issue #4, and festive greeting cards are now available. Ye olde Holiday shipping deadline approacheth soon!
November 20, 2013
November 21, 2013
- Batter Up should now work correctly with Iron Palm Technique. Swords for bats. Keep bats sharp. Gracias.
- Pastamancers who just want to be alone and brood and sulk can now dismiss their current Pasta Thrall from the skills page.
November 26, 2013
- Saucemaggedon it. Are you gettin' it? Yes you are. Yesterday you weren't, but today you are, because Saucemaggedon is fixed.
November 30, 2013
December 03, 2013
- 17 and 18 are now different numbers. Happy Crimbo!
December 06, 2013
December 14, 2013
December 28, 2013
December 31, 2013
- Happy New Year! The Winter Garden, January's Item-of-the-Month, is now available in Mr. Store.
Also it's a new PvP season!
Also we are slack-ass slackers, and the Items-of-the-Year will be released on January 14thish. Sorry about that.
- The sequence of ^Hs that is used for the March 4th update is making use of an old Usenet fake-strike-out technique. On an improperly configured terminal, the backspace key would show up as ^H, to indicate that it is a control-H, and not actually back the cursor up. (The extra ^ at the end of the sequence is inappropriate.)
- The knives in the September 8th message refer to a metaphor used of some speed players: given a choice of stabbing themselves for 11 points or fucking the prom queen for 10, some players will choose the knife, because extra point. See this radio show transcript for an example.