History of Loathing (2005)
These pages shall contain the history of the Kingdom of Loathing.
For an annotated list of changes to the game, see Changes.
|Table of contents|
|2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019|
January 3, 2005
- Happy New Year! January's familiar-of-the-month is being implemented right now, and will probably become available tomorrow.
In other news, the Hall of the Legends of the Times of Old has changed somewhat -- instead of being limited to 30,000 Meat per day, it's now limited to 10,000 Meat times your character level.
- You can now delete your profile by submitting the form with all of the fields blank. And there was much rejoicing. By Xenophobe.
- Clan stat training purchases are now correctly affected by the moon phases.
January 4, 2005
- January's familiar is now available.
January 5, 2005
- A much-requested feature has finally been added - the ability to have more than one Custom Outfit. Knock yourselves out.
January 11, 2005
- Fixed a bug where you could mark Mall stores as favorites more than once, thus making it think you had more than ten stores marked when it wasn't showing ten.
January 12, 2005
- The soft cap of 200 on adventures has been removed -- during the day, if you eat or drink something that puts you over 200, you will no longer lose the extra. Adventures will still cap at 200 upon nightly rollover, though, so don't go to sleep with more than 200 unless you want to lose them.
In other news, Mr. Store and Trophy Hut have moved to Market Square.
- The 200 adventure cap has been changed to only apply at rollover. Which is to say that if you have 200 adventures, and you drink or eat something, you will no longer lose the adventures you would've gained. If you log off with more than 200, though, it'll get reset to 200 at the next rollover.
- Also, a bug whereby hennaliciousness didn't work properly when you spend more than one adventure at a time has been fixed.
January 16, 2005
- Minor change: Summoning of dry noodles and Scrumptious Reagents is now done from the skills page, not the campground. It also no longer uses up an Adventure, and instead costs 10 MP per item. The appropriate skills are, in case you've forgotten, called "Pastamastery" and "Advanced Saucecrafting."
January 17, 2005
- The interface for the campground has changed. Now it's less texty, and more like the rest of the game. Also included in this update are some modifications to the way picket and barbed-wire fences work -- you can now have up to nine units of each of them installed, and their effects have changed somewhat.
UPDATE: My dumb ass forgot to leave room in the new layout for the terrarium, so that's just a text link at the bottom, now. I'll fix this tomorrow.
January 19, 2005
- After months of painful deliberation, we're proud to announce the winner of the Yeti-naming contest: Riff! See the yetis in their new environment, as well as a list of the runner-up winners, in the newly unveiled Cannon Museum on the Right Side of the Tracks.
- Bunch of little changes:
New papaya picture!
Names in player store log now link to profiles.
You can now forbid people on your ignore list from buying from your store. This can be changed from the manage store page.
January 22, 2005
- The list of every online player has been removed from the buff target dropdown. This feature was added back when there weren't nearly as many people playing, and has become cumbersome and hard on the database.
January 29, 2005
- The Hermit interface has been redesigned to be a little bit user-friendlier. In other news, "user-friendlier" is now the preferred way of saying "more user-friendly."
I also added a minor feature to the chat macro system. If you put a "$$" in a macro, it'll replace it with the rest of your chat command, rather than just appending it to the end of the macro value like it does now. If you're the kind of person who will use this, that awkward sentence probably adequately explains it.
February 10, 2005
- The cocktail system is currently undergoing a revamp, in order to properly balance it. You'll notice minor changes in some of the drinks and recipes over the next day or two. Also, several new items.
Pay close attention when you are drinking. Some items now give more drunkenness than they used to. All of the people who accidentally overdrank before this announcement have had their drunkenness reset to 19. Turns will not cap out at 200 tonight, for the benefit of those who overdrank and don't log on before rollover. Tomorrow night everything will return to normal.
UPDATE: The booze revamp is pretty much done. There might be some more slight changes to the quality and stat gains of certain drinks, but the majority of things will stay the way they are now.
February 11, 2005
- Added the /haiku chat channel and the hidden secret quest to open it up. HIDDEN SECRET. Thanks to Bragi for the idea for the channel.
February 15, 2005
- I added two new chat channels today. /radio is open to everybody, and is for discussion of (huge surprise, here,) Radio KoL. The other channel is /pvp, and it becomes available to you when you break your Hippy Stone.
- A change has been made to the way damage absorption works. It was previously possible (pretty easy, actually) to get your absorption percentage over 100%, which is obviously not the way things should've been. You'll take slightly more damage from monsters close to your own level, now.
Also, I added a Moxie boost reagent potion to fill in what I believe is the final gap in the reagent potion structure. Thanks to ShadowsLight for pointing out the need, and to Karl Dark for suggesting the name.
February 21, 2005
- Added "propose trade" link to the player profile.
February 22, 2005
- Moved chat PMs to the secondary database server. /last should work a little more quickly now.
March 2, 2005
- Sorry for the lack of announcements lately -- we're hard at work testing a big chunk of new code and content. See the Ascension sticky in the forums for more details.
March 5, 2005
- In a classic case of "better late than never," March's monthly special has been placed in Mr. Store. It's not a familiar this month, but it's familiar-related.
March 8, 2005
- Some cosmetic (and invisible technical) changes have been made to the class guilds in town. There's nothing new there, but there's room for new stuff in the future.
March 9, 2005
- Booze Giants now drop all six of the base booze items.
- If you search for an item, and the price when you enter the store is different than the price the search showed, you'll now get an annoying confirmation popup. Now there is absolutely no excuse if you get "scammed" by somebody switching prices back and forth in their store.
March 14, 2005
- Mt. McLargeHuge has been altered such that it opens up over the course of a multi-part quest, instead of randomly becoming available once you hit a certain stat level. The quest starts at the Council, for characters level 6 and over.
March 15, 2005
- Another change similar to yesterday's, but less elaborate. The ability to go inside of Cobb's Knob now opens up when the Council gives you a quest to defeat the Goblin King, at level 5.
Also, the Deep Fat Friars' Quest has been bumped up to level 7, and the difficulty of the monsters in the area has been raised accordingly.
March 23, 2005
- You can now edit your chat macros all at once, from the Account menu.
- Added some checks for really easy-to-guess passwords in the character creation and password change scripts.
March 24, 2005
- There has been a slight change to the way the Turtle Tamer's Headbutt and Spectral Snapper skills work. Headbutt now follows up a successful attack with an addition attack that effectively just uses your helmet as a weapon. Spectral Snapper's damage has been made such that it increases proportionally to your Mysticality.
Combat change: All ranged weapons (accordions, crossbows, and a few others) now use Moxie instead of Muscle when determining whether you hit or not. Crossbow Fever, having been made irrelevant, was changed -- it now just increases your chance of hitting with a crossbow.
Also: The way HP is calculated has changed in a significant way. No matter what class you are, your HP is now based on your (buffed) Muscle in the same way that your MP is based on Mysticality.
Also also: There's a new Pastamancer skill (at level 5) that gives a passive 25% bonus to maximum HP.
Also, additionally: The damage done by Sauceror combat spells now increases with Mysticality to a higher level than it did before.
And then: Your Max HP will never go below what it would be at your base Muscle level, so negative effects (like Beaten Up) won't affect it as much. The same change has been applied to MP.
- The pixel potions have been made somewhat more effective.
March 26, 2005
- Happy Oyster Egg Day!
Last night, the Enchanted Flying Oyster hid his magical eggs all over the Kingdom. Grab a basket and see what you can find!
April 1, 2005
- In an effort to increase revenue, a small number of tasteful and unobtrusive advertisements have been added to the site.
April 3, 2005
- Some more minor changes were made to the Council quest structure. They now give you a quest at level 2 that opens up the Distant Woods.
- Xenophobe fixed that annoying thing with the chat where it'll jump around while you're trying to read stuff in the backlog. It only autoscrolls if you're actually at the bottom, now. This should make it a lot easier to copy text from the backlog.
April 5, 2005
- A new chat command, /switch [channel] was added. This puts you in another chat channel without unlistening the channel you're leaving.
April 7, 2005
- I found a weird mistake in the fight code that determines the rate at which items drop from monsters. The fix to this will, I suspect, reduce the overall drop rate, but make item drop bonuses (from skills, buffs, and enchantments) work better. Evidence gathered over the next few days will make the situation clearer.
April 10, 2005
- I'm aware of the problems with the forums and images, and I'm working on getting them resolved right now.
- The Character Sheet now has links to manage your Mall store and your collection, if you've got a Mall store or a collection. Or both.
- Also, the name of the player who buffed you is now clickable in buff notifications, and takes you to that player's profile.
April 11, 2005
- Tonight, as every Monday night, Jick and Mr. Skullhead will be doing their weekly radio show, on Radio KoL at 9PM EST (6PM PST) -- if the server is full, check the chat or the forums for announcements about mirrors.
- Fixed a minor bug where certain channels weren't showing up when you did a /listen in chat.
April 12, 2005
- Fixed a bug in the fight code that was making the monster's chance of hitting get calculated based on your base Moxie, rather than your modified Moxie. Thanks, Thisguy!
April 20, 2005
- I've made some changes to the way the Clan Karma system works. Clan leaders can now set an exchange rate for Meat and Karma, and each clan ranking can be given a daily Karma expenditure limit. Existing ranks (which used to be unlimited) were set to 10,000. Members without ranks will not be able to use the stash until they are assigned a rank with a value.
- Added an option in the account menu to have your contacts' names show up in blue when they talk in the chat.
April 21, 2005
- /s is now equivalent to /switch in chat.
April 23, 2005
- I made a slight cosmetic change to the way Meat shows up in trade offers, in response to a dumb new scam technique.
- I've set up a new system for trivial updates, which will make it easier to add and keep track of... er... trivial updates.
- An [unequip all] option has been added to the equipment pane of the inventory screen.
- Some adventures have been added to the Cobb's Knob Harem.
- The Crackpot Mystic can now make a white pixel out of a red pixel, a green pixel, and a blue pixel.
April 26, 2005
- The way dignity gains are calculated from PVP fights has been changed a little bit. If your level is now lower than that of your target, you gain points as though the target was your level, instead.
- You can now store up to 20 chat macros.
April 27, 2005
- Sorry about the extra-long rollover tonight. I'm a dumbass, and I scheduled a backup (a process that requires a certain amount of babysitting) and then forgot that I had scheduled it, so everything ground to a halt. I'll try to be more careful in the future.
April 29, 2005
- Due to some random fluctuations in the space-time continuum of Loathing (evidenced mostly by the incomplete Giant Castle quest partially leaking onto the live servers) and a sudden unrelated change in soil pH, any beanstalks you may have planted in the Nearby Plains have withered and vanished.
In other news, there's a new Council quest, which involves the Giant Castle!
In additional other news, two new modes of PvP attack have been introduced: Rank and Flowers. Rank gives a 50% bonus in rank change, but no goodies. Attack for Flowers, and you'll always get a pretty flower if you win.
- Lihc eye pies have been altered. They now give you an effect that grants spooky protection for 3 turns. Or perhaps 5. I forget.
April 30, 2005
- I've made some changes to the way Sauceror skills work. Check this forum post for details.
From the Forums:
- The drop bonus from Mr. Accessories Jr. has been upped from 10% to 25%.
May 1, 2005
- Disco Bandit skills have been updated. Check this post for details.
From the Forums:
- Some adventures have been added to the eXtreme slope.
- Skill training costs have been changed. Now, cost = level * 1000. This is much better than the old system, in which cost = [number I pulled out of my ass].
- The Orcish Frat Boys and the constellations in the HitS have been given initiative values. They were accidentally all set to zero before.
May 2, 2005
- Moving right along, Accordion Thief skills have been rebalanced and modified. Here's the post.
From the Forums:
- Fixed a problem with the Tam O' Shanter that made its bonus multiply with familiar bonuses instead of adding. Sorry, but this means less Meat at the high end...
- The levels of most of the monsters in the Palindome have been increased. Since the Pirates changed, they were too easy for the point at which the zone opens up.
- The Dwarves in Itznotyerzitz Mine now drop Meat.
- Spiky Hair has been fixed. Instead of doing nothing, it now does something. Something!
May 3, 2005
- Seal Clubber skills have been revamped a bit. Check this post for details. Also, I forgot to link to this thread, from yesterday, in which I describe the Pastamancer changes that also went in yesterday.
From the Forums:
From the Forums:
May 5, 2005
- (no, really. It's still May 5...)
Happy Cinco de Mayo! There's a brand-new zone, on the Desert Beach. This isn't so much a special event as the introduction of some new permanent content.
May 6, 2005
- Having a pagoda at your campsite will now give you 3 extra Adventures per day. Yay, Pagoda!
- The damage done by the elemental rooms in the Daily Dungeon is now calculated correctly. It was calculated incorrectly before. In case you were wondering.
- The Meat drop bonus on the Incredibly Dense Meat Gem was raised to 25.
- The Knob sausage and bat-wing stir-fry recipes have been altered. Their base stir-fry ingredients have been switched.
May 9, 2005
- The Sugar Rush effect is now working as intended. It was previously working as unintended.
May 10, 2005
- As you may have noticed, there has been a change to the way ranged damage is calculated. This change is NOT permanent. It wasn't supposed to roll to the live servers. It will be modified, one way or another, pretty soon.
- Replies to chat PMs should no longer accidentally go to somebody on your baleet list if he/she is the last person that tried to message you.
May 11, 2005
- As of today, if you get banned in chat more than 9 times, the ban lasts forever. Jackasses beware.
May 15, 2005
- I added a link to the "manage your collection" page that lets you view it the way other people see it.
May 16, 2005
- Pixel potions are slightly more effective now.
May 17, 2005
- You can now view other peoples' familiars by clicking the current familiar in their profiles. Also, familiar names can now be up to 40 characters long.
- Quotes in your profile can now be up to 500 characters long.
May 22, 2005
- The interface for making meat paste and stacks has been improved. Or, y'know, changed, at least.
May 24, 2005
- The Gift Shop is added to The Market Square.
They sell some random social-y items (only a small portion are available now, most are post-ascension content,) and in the back room, you can send people packages full of items and Meat.
The main reason for putting this in right now is to assuage the worries people had about winning radio contests while in ronin or hardcore mode. You can receive the packages from people during these periods, but you can't open them.
- Some adventures have been added to Itznotyerzitz Mine (not in disguise.)
May 25, 2005
- You can now click on the "Favorite Food" or "Favorite Booze" links in your profile to see a history of everything you've eaten and drunk since I started keeping track of consumption.
- The Distant Woods have been expanded a little bit due to a massive reforestation project on the part of the, umm, Citizens For Making Room For Things, Loathing Local #151.
May 26, 2005
- People who own Mall stores now get access to a new chat channel, called /foodcourt. This channel would be a good place to do some of the socializing that's currently done in /trade (hint, hint.)
- The shout filter has been disabled in /clan.
May 29, 2005
- Maintenance will probably take an extra half hour or so tonight.
UPDATE: All done. Thanks for your patience, everybody.
May 31, 2005
- Moxious Manuever has been changed -- its MP cost is now equal to your level.
June 1, 2005
- Magical Mystery Juices now cost 100 Meat instead of 150.
- There's now an option in the account menu to prevent people from looking into your terrarium.
- (Nerf nerf nerf.)
- Minor skill changes: Saucy Salve is no longer usable outside of combat, and Lasagna Bandages now costs 6MP instead of 5, and is usable both in and out of combat.
June 3, 2005
- Some combat changes -- the stats you gain from monsters now tend towards 50% primary, 25%/25% secondary. Ranged damage has been increased, unarmed damage has been decreased.
- Some food changes (almost all improvements) have been made, and several new recipes have been added. Nothing terribly exciting, just balancing out some early game stuff.
June 4, 2005
- Some of the outlying cocktails (the ones that don't fit into the neat, balanced, symmetrical system we put in place a while ago) have had their stat gains increased. Bloody Mary stat gains went down a little.
June 5, 2005
- There have been some minor changes to the levels at which zones open up, and to monster levels and rewards. The only really noticable one is Whitey's Grove, which has been made considerably harder and had its stat rewards increased a lot.
June 6, 2005
June 7, 2005
June 8, 2005
- The system will go down for maintenance about 3 hours earlier than usual tonight, so we can make sure everything gets properly rolled out to the live servers. It should come back up at the same time it usually does.
- Ascension was implemented.
- Some changes have been made to the way certain combat items work. (All of the changes make them MORE effective, not less.) Also, procrastination potions are now usable in combat.
- The Flea Market has been slightly altered. On the screen where you sell stuff, it'll now show you what things you're selling, and allow you to pull items out.
June 9, 2005
- Pretend there's a giant zero here!
Okay, guys, welcome back. If you were further up than the bottom of the Sorceress' Tower, you've been reset to there. Enjoy.
Sorry for the relative uninspiredness of this announcement, but, y'know, we're kind of tired... :)
This would probably be a good time to reiterate one of the Policies:
NO SPOILERS IN CHAT.
If somebody asks a question, and you know the answer, PM them. If you spoil puzzle solutions in open chat, you will be banned.
June 10, 2005
- Gah, sorry about that. I made changes to the rollover script last night, and forgot to change them back. I was out, and had my phone turned off. It'll never happen again, I promise. Unless, y'know, it happens again, in which case I'm sorry in advance.
June 14, 2005
- You can now change the colors of some stuff in chat (channel names, your own name, your contacts' names). Check your account menu for details.
June 18, 2005
- The Ascendingest Clans board now shows average # of ascensions to two decimal places.
June 19, 2005
- A couple of the post-ascension skills have had their effectivegness igncreased.
- The MicroMechaMech familiar is now working as it should, instead of failing to not work as it shouldn't.
- The Council should now automatically update your top menu pane when they open up a new area to you.
- The Crackpot Mystic can now make items in quantity.
June 28, 2005
- In an effort to improve overall performance, the Mall has been moved to the secondary database server, and the pricing rules have been altered.
The minimum sale price for items in the Mall is now either 100 Meat or twice the item's autosell value, whichever is higher. Prices lower than these limits were automatically adjusted during the transition.
Note that this change is pretty significant on the backend, and if anything goes wrong, we might have to roll the database back to the pre-rollover state. This probably won't happen, but it's a slim possibility. Just a heads up.
- The way days are counted on ascension runs has been fixed. The existing records have been updated accordingly.
- Stuff in stores owned by disabled players no longer shows up in mall searches.
- The henna tattoo's effect has been changed to a flat Mysticality increase. Something will appear soon that provides the functionality they used to have.
- A few minor changes. Familiars in your terrarium are now listed in order of kills (descending.) The last adventure link in compact mode now has meaningful ALT text. The "Manage Outfits" interface now shows the contents of your custom outfits.
July 1, 2005
- Only slightly late, July's Item-of-the-Month is now available in Mr. Store.
July 2, 2005
- The maypole now has familiar-specific messages.
July 3, 2005
- There has been a change to the way PvP fights per day limit works. There's a new item available in the Demon Market that gives you extra fights in exchange for a spleen hit. Other stuff that impacts this will be added over the coming weeks.
July 4, 2005
- I made some cosmetic changes to the trade system, which ought to make things a little less confusing.
July 5, 2005
- The official Store of Loathing is up now. More stuff will be available shortly.
- Innabox now properly fails to smith ALL class-specific recipes.
- The gnauga hide chaps now require Advanced Armorcrafting (or whatever that skill is called) to make.
- If you normally save outgoing messages, Gift Shop messages will now be saved in your Outbox. Also, line breaks are now preserved in the outside messages on gifts.
July 6, 2005
- I made a change to Hagnk's that should make it load considerably faster.
- The chat input box now gets bigger when you resize the pane.
July 8, 2005
- The Oyster holiday has arrived again, in a way that was totally expected and on purpose. Seriously. The fact that it went off all halfway and screwed up and was fixed a few hours after rollover is part of the... um... Oyster tradition.
July 9, 2005
- Your Mind Control Device setting now shows up in your character pane.
July 10, 2005
- A new chat channel (/hardcore) has been added for people who have completed at least one hardcore ascension.
- You can now specify a chat color for people who are NOT on your contact list.
July 11, 2005
- The Inventory page has been modified. Divided into sections. Rearranged somewhat.
You can collapse the sections by clicking on their title bar. This is an "undocumented feature" and using it will make you feel cool.
- The Consumables pane of the inventory now arranges itself according to your Path. If you have one.
- Your name is now clickable on your Character Sheet, and links to your public profile.
July 14, 2005
- You can now make meat paste from the combine screen if you run out.
July 19, 2005
- Your Display Case can now be divided up into customizable shelves. Everybody thank Armak for suggesting this, many moons ago.
We also made some optimizations to the way effects are handled that we hope will help alleviate lag a little bit.
- Gift packages now have their own subsection in the miscellaneous section of the inventory.
July 20, 2005
- Xenophobe put together some slick image maps for the Sorceress' Lair -- you can now jump to individual parts of the tower from the page linked to from the main map.
July 23, 2005
- By popular demand, SGEEAs have been moved to the consumables page of the inventory.
July 29, 2005
- The duration of the post-ascension Ronin period has been reduced to 800 Adventures. As the speed run leaderboards continue to mature, this period will continue to decrease, and we expect it to eventually settle around 500.
Also, some adventures were added to the pre-disguise Pirate's Cove.
August 1, 2005
- August's Item-of-the-Month is now in Mr. Store.
August 2, 2005
- The way Golden Mr. Accessories work has been changed significantly to make them less useless in the post-ascension Kingdom. You no longer have to equip them to use them (which means they can be used even from Hagnk's,) and the Smile can be cast on somebody in Hardcore or Ronin (instead of the buff, they'll receive a gift-like package that allows them to use the smile once they get out.)
Also, the clan log has been redone, and is now much more comprehensive. Probably too comprehensive, but we'll wait and see how many complaints come in...
August 11, 2005
- Familiar weight and kills are no longer visible when you look at another player's profile.
- All stringed instruments are now created equal.
- All leftover quest items have been nuked from clan stashes, due to some weird quest flag problems they were causing for some people.
August 12, 2005
- The length of the Ronin period has been reduced again, this time to 600 Adventures.
August 14, 2005
- The documentation has been beefed up a bit by Mr. Skullhead. Of particular note is the newly-added guide to common scams.
August 16, 2005
- Sorry for the short notice, but rollover is probably going to take a little longer than usual tonight.
August 17, 2005
- Rollover will be 30 minutes earlier tomorrow than it usually is.
August 18, 2005
- Rollover will be an additional 30 minutes earlier tomorrow.
August 19, 2005
- A new adventure was added to the Dungeons of Doom.
August 20, 2005
- There are a couple of new T-shirt designs available in the Store of Loathing. Stylish!
August 24, 2005
- Blood of the Wereseal now lasts 10 turns per vial instead of 5.
August 26, 2005
- Jick, Skully, and countless other KOL players are at PAX (The Penny Arcade Expo) this weekend. If you're in the Seattle area, you should swing by, as a good time is expected to have been had by all.
September 1, 2005
- September's item of the month is now in Mr. Store.
Also, Preregistration packets for KoLCon II are available in The Store of Loathing. Check the description for details on what preregistration entails, and expect an update of the Con page really soon.
September 4, 2005
- Tonight, KolMohDee will begin a 24-hour telethon on Radio KoL, to raise money for the victims of Katrina.
Which was also my first girlfriend's name. Except I think she spelled it differently.
Anyway, you should listen to it, because it's for a good cause, and it'll be fun to hear KMD slowly descend into cackling, gurgling madness.
All of the donations for the telethon will be handled by Thor The Mighty and Adrasteia, the people who run the Player Pics Page. You can find their PayPal link at http://kol.stinkernaut.com/paypal.
- The Account menu script has been updated, and a cool new stat progress bar feature has been added. Yay, Xenophobe!
September 5, 2005
- There's a new item for sale at The Meatsmith.
September 6, 2005
- Tonight's maintenance will be longer than usual.
In other news, KMD's radio telethon was a tremendous success. Something like $6,700 was raised, which Asymmetric Publications is going to match, for a grand total of... um... something like $13,400.
Thanks to everyone for their eXtreme generosity.
September 7, 2005
- Items in the Untinker's list are now arranged alphabetically.
September 13, 2005
- The words "Last Adventure" now link to the container document of your last adventure.
- Multiuse on all items now generates the same distribution as using the item one at a time.
September 16, 2005
- Doing a /whois in chat now tells you what channels somebody is listening to as well as what channel they're in.
September 18, 2005
- Gnorman can now Supertinker things in quantity. No more carpal tugnnel sygndrome for you!
- Xeno added a progress bar for familiar weight. Check it out in your account menu, which should also now be error-free in Safari.
September 19, 2005
- After tonight, LARP tickets for KoLCon II will no longer be available in the store. So, if you wanna play in the LARP and haven't bought your ticket yet, now's your last chance.
- You can now edit the names of all of your familiars at once.
- The Tr4pz0r will now trade furs in quantity.
September 21, 2005
- KoLCon II is coming right up! Check the link above for updated info! And extra exclamation point!
September 28, 2005
- A change has been made to the fight code. If you win initiative, you now get an entire normal round of combat for free instead of automatically attacking with your weapon. This allows you to use skills and items on the first round.
Also, there are three new shirt designs (non-KoL stuff by the Pretentious Artist) available in the Store of Loathing.
September 29, 2005
- In the account menu, there's now an option to turn on "auto-attack" if you want combat to work the way it used to.
I also forgot to mention yesterday that in addition to the new shirts, there are new (mostly larger) sizes available for all of the original shirt designs, too. Temporary tattoos and coffee cups are forthcoming.
September 30, 2005
- All of the stuff I put on my to-do list during last night's show is done.
From the Forums:
- Trivial updates now announce themselves in chat when I post them.
October 1, 2005
October 3, 2005
- Temporary tattoos and coffee cups are now available in the Store of Loathing.
October 5, 2005
- Muscle classes have been given an intrinsic 50% boost to maximum hit points.
October 11, 2005
- The Barrel Full of Barrels has been revamped to make it more interesting and more useful.
Also, Custom Avatar Forms are once again available in Mr. Store. From now on, though, we're going to be enforcing the guidelines on them very, very strictly. The reason we got so far behind before is that we were indulging some pretty ludicrous requests, and that has to stop for everybody else's sake.
Nothing else interesting happened today. -cough-
October 15, 2005
- The Typical Tavern quest has been redone to make it more interesting, and to make the rewards a little better.
If you were in the middle of the quest, you'll have to start over. It just... had to be done.
- The "Manage Store" interface has been improved. Multiple items can now be put in store stocks at the same time.
- Items at the maximum Mall price (999,999,999 Meat) no longer show up in mall searches.
October 17, 2005
- The once-and-future fez of etymology is once again craftable. The Baron quest's reward has changed slightly to make this possible.
October 19, 2005
- Doc Galaktik's Medicine Show has been modified somewhat.
October 21, 2005
- All of the typos from the Kingdom Gameplay typo thread have been corrected. The typo in tihs announcement has not.
October 25, 2005
- Tonight's maintenance will be longer than usual while we do some server administration type stuff. I expect it to take less than an hour, total.
- You can now /friend and /baleet people by playerid as well as name.
- Item selections are now preserved from combat to combat.
- The "combine stuff" link now appears whether you've got meat paste in inventory or not.
October 27, 2005
- Something is seriously wrong with time. That last hour? It took 48. Who knows how long the next one will take...
From the Main Page:
Okay, so we're back up from the database catastrophe. Again, Jick is very, very sorry about this. We've reconstructed the data the best we can, but there are a number of things that might have happened to you.
Some of your permanent skill data may have been lost. If so, there will be a link under this box to a script that will allow you to fix them.
You may have lost some items from Hagnk's. If so, use the Bug Report link and we'll look into it as soon as we can.
You may have lost some items or Meat from recent Mall transactions. The Multi Czar has records of these, and can verify and fix this. Send him a message with the details.
There might also be missing items from other sources, such as trade offers and gift boxes. All the gifts we still have records for have been placed in your inventory. Again, use the Bug Report link to report these.
Please be patient -- we're going to be straightening things out for a lot of people, and it's going to take a lot of time. We will make our best efforts to restore to you anything that was lost, but it might be days or even weeks before we can get to everybody. There'll be more information in the Gameplay forum as the situation progresses.
In the meantime, enjoy the new content we added while the data was being restored. Check your miscellaneous inventory for a little gift, also.
October 31, 2005
- Trick-or-Treating is available today, and all of the previous outfit gaps have been filled in. Some more Halloween-type stuff will happen later tomorrow -- I got kind of behind and didn't get everything done tonight that I wanted to.
October 32, 2005
- The Council has some news.
November's Item-of-the-Month will be a couple of days late. Sorry 'bout that.
November 1, 2005
- The manage tattoo page (on the account menu) will now attempt to replace any ascension-related tattoos you may have lost.
November 2, 2005
- Doc Galaktik has made a breakthrough.
November 3, 2005
- November's Item-of-the-Month is now in Mr. Store. The doppelshifter egg will also stay in there until we're done with the item restoration.
November 4, 2005
- You can now equip and unequip familiar equipment from the Terrarium page.
November 8, 2005
- PvP attacks no longer use Adventures. This is the first in a series of minor tweaks/improvements/enhancements to PvP that will happen over the next couple of weeks.
P. S. OMG, this makes Hardcore easier.
- The "+PvP fights at rollover" effect of the Plexiglass Pike Pike should be working now.
November 14, 2005
- You can now add more than one item at a time to your clan stash. Thanks, Xenophobe!
- Some of the starting items (seal tooth, scroll of turtle summoning, spices, and disco ball) have had their purposes changed in a very minor way.
November 17, 2005
- Due to popular (and by "popular" I mean "Fusilliban's") demand, we've added a Clan Whitelist feature -- you can now create a list of players who will be automatically accepted to your clan (and assigned rank and title) if they apply.
You'll eventually be able to set a clan permission for this, but for now, it's only available to the clan leader.
November 18, 2005
- The temporal rifts are beginning to close...
November 20, 2005
- All of the little goofs introduced from the new optimization tricks (missing ice-cold beer, last combat item unselected) have been fixed.
November 22, 2005
- Kmails are now, like, paginated and stuff. The same thing will happen to the clan roster very soon.
November 26, 2005
- The Hall of Records now contains accurate totals for most normal ascensions and most hardcore ascensions.
- The message screen should now display the messages per page control even if you only have one page.
November 28, 2005
- The "Money Making Game" guy in the casino has been repurposed as an in-game alternative to the late rafflebot, Gamacodre's popular player-vs.-player coin flip gambling game thingy. Gamble and enjoy!
Also, you can now send stuff from Hagnk's in gift packages.
- The clan roster page is now paginated.
- Rat whiskers now have a purpose. Sort of.
November 29, 2005
- Rolled-up inventory sections are now preserved for the duration of your session.
November 30, 2005
- A monster's HP now increases, in addition to its power and defense, if its level is increased by any means.
December 1, 2005
- December's Item-of-the-Month is now in Mr. Store. On time!
Also, Uncle Crimbo dropped by, and left a little gift in everybody's campground.
December 2, 2005
- The mysterious disappearing messages problem has been eliminated. Send gifts without fear!
December 6, 2005
- The Toot Oriole has been revamped. You can go through it again, if you want, by clicking the link at Mt. Noob.
December 9, 2005
- The MMG now lists the last 20 bets made. Also, when someone takes your bet, the event notification is clickable, to take you back to the MMG.
December 12, 2005
- The Temporal Riftlet will disappear from Mr. Store at rollover tomorrow.
Also, the ability to reset the Toot Oriole will also go away, so if you haven't checked it out yet, you best get to checkin'.
Also also, the Feast of Boris is a little more involved than it used to be.
December 13, 2005
- Custom Avatar Forms are now being accepted again. Please see this post if you submitted a custom avatar form prior to today and still don't have your avatar.
December 17, 2005
- Kmails now expire after 2 weeks instead of 1 week.
December 19, 2005
- Rollover will run long tonight, so that we can dump a set of data to use for testing on the new servers. Here's hoping it won't last as long as the last long one did.
LATER: The long rollover went off just fine. Data is currently streaming across the Ethertron to the new servers. In the meantime, the gates of Crimbo Town have been opened, in the Big Mountains.
December 21, 2005
- Offhand item bugs (ascending, player profiles, item descriptions) go squash. *squash*
December 26, 2005
- After rollover tonight, we're going to be moving everything to the new servers. It'll take at least a couple of hours to get the data across.
The maintenance page will be replaced with a page that I'll update as the situation progresses.
December 27, 2005
- Okay, so, here we are on the new servers. Everything will be green for a little while -- this is on purpose. Since any problems are likely to be reported by a whole bunch of people, please limit bug reports to the forums for a day or so, instead of the Report Bug link.
December 28, 2005
- The MMG's bet archive now only shows the last two weeks' worth of bets and an overall grand total instead of the choking morass that was every bet you ever made.
- The bug related to buying mall stores is fixed.
December 29, 2005
- A rather insidious bug related to being unable to log in if your password had a single quote in it has been fixed.
- Sorry for the short notice, but there will be a little bit of downtime this afternoon at 3:30 MST while a piece of network hardware is replaced. It's anticipated that the switch will take less than 10 minutes.
December 30, 2005
- The first task in the Guild Hall has been altered a little bit. It's now necessary to complete the task to gain access to the Barrel Full of Barrels.
- Stat gains from most booze items have been doubled.
|History of Loathing||2003||2004||2005||2006||2007||2008||2009||2010||2011||2012||2013||2014||2015||2016||2017||2018||2019|