whispers sweet oblivion
straight into your brain.
Attacks enemies, restores HP and MP after combat
Can breathe underwater
Ability: Makes enemies miss their attacks like a Levitating Potato, restores both HP and MP after combat adventures like a Ghuol Whelp, and gives extra adventures at rollover like a Wild Hare. Can breathe underwater.
Throne: Combat Initiative +20%, sometimes deals Spooky Damage.
Hatchling: squamous polyp
Familiar-Specific Equipment: unspeakable lozenges
- <name> glides silently toward your opponent and wraps his scaly tentacles around him/her/it, preventing him from attacking you.
- <name> whispers into your opponent's ear. He/She/It cowers in fear.
- <name>'s scaly tentacles gently caress your face.
- <name> whispers of oblivion. Goosebumps rise on your skin, but your body and mind are soothed.
- <name> mutters dark secrets under his breath, and you feel time slow down.
- Enthroned in the Crown of Thrones:
- <name> does something that is too horrible to describe, for the merest inkling of it would render you insane. It's only safe to say it does 30 damage.
- With lucky Tam O'Shanter equipped:
- <name> scuttles around beneath the Tam on scaly tentacles, looking for all the world like an evil Irish turtle.
- <name> latches a tentacle onto the top of the maypole and swings in circles like some kind of horrible, evil tetherball. Which is to say a tetherball.
- The wax lips churn wetly in <name>'s horrible mouth.
- When equipped as your active familiar, you will sometimes receive unusual chat messages, such as:
- <name> has turned against you.
- <name> is in league with us already. <name> will kill you.
- <name> laughs at you while your back is turned. Betrayal is inevitable.
- <name> plots against you in secret.
- Abandon your insignificant struggle.
- Are you watching the stars? Yes, you watch, but you do not see. He watches. He sees.
- Beneath your feet the sunken cities lie in wait. One day they will rise.
- Do you trust <name>? You shouldn't.
- Even now little <name> plots against you.
- Everything you care for will be smothered and extinguished.
- Futility. You live in purposeless futility.
- The gate was open once, and it will open again soon.
- Have you seen the look in <name>'s eyes?
- He is watching you. He sees all.
- He will find a way in. He will find a way in and he will kill you all.
- His Avatar approaches.
- Hope is an illusion.
- The King is dead! Long live the King!
- The shadows coalesce around you. Can you feel it? The choking, the shortness of breath?
- Sleep with one eye open, Adventurer -- <name> does...
- The stars are right! The end is nigh!
- There is nobody who can help you. Nobody who can save you.
- They are coming, from beyond the stars. There is no hope.
- They are laughing. They are laughing at you.
- They are waiting. Waiting to betray you.
- They will all turn against you in the end. They will all betray you.
- They're coming for you.
- They're right behind you.
- They're waiting. They're watching you. Watching for signs of weakness.
- Those who created you will destroy you.
- Where is little <name>? What has your little friend been up to while you weren't watching?
- You are insignificant. Your death will be as the swatting of a fly.
- Your fate is sealed. Your end is inevitable.
The name in the above messages is the name of one of your other familiars or a member of your contact list.
- The word squamous means "scaly", hence the "scaly tentacles."
- The "you feel time slow down" message occurs every 15 adventures' worth of combats, and for each time that it appears, you receive an extra adventure at rollover.
- Underwater combats always count for 2 adventures, even with Fishy. So when using this familiar in The Sea, you will receive a bonus adventure every 7-8 combats.
- The 15 adventure counter resets at rollover.
- The default name for this familiar will always have a "Cth-" at the beginning of it, furthering the Cthulhu reference.
- This familiar's appearance is likely inspired by the promachoteuthis sulcus squid which appears to have an unsettling human-like mouth.
- Also resembles the gibbering mouther, a monster from Dungeons and Dragons.