| There are some vague or non-exact figures and information on this page. Some spading is required.
Flipping out is an "enrage" or "power increase" mechanic which certain monsters can activate in combat. The flip out mechanism can be identified by the fact that the affected monster can be calmed by one of six calming skills found in Hobopolis.
The name "flip out" comes from combat messages: for example, "Hodgman flips out and gets angry." However, the specific phrase "flip out" is not necessarily used for every monster that uses this mechanic.
The following monsters are known to flip out:
- Hobopolis bosses seem to flip out after 5 rounds of combat. It is not yet known how this affects their abilities or if the effects are the same for all of them. In the case of Hodgman, it at least increases his attack power.
- These fish flip out at the beginning of combat if the player has the Fishbreath effect active:
- "The <monster name> smells the fish blood on your breath and flips out."
- This greatly increases their attack and defense (but not hit points). It also allows an extra item to drop from each of these monsters. Subsequently calming the monster down does not prevent the item from dropping.
- This boss from an LT&T telegram quest can flip out upon rolling a six on the first of his dice. This increases his attack damage and ability to hit.
All flipped out enemies can be calmed with one of the following skills obtained from Hobopolis:
- Wassail (physical)
- Conjure Relaxing Campfire (hot)
- Maximum Chill (cold)
- Mudbath (stench)
- Creepy Lullaby (spooky)
- Inappropriate Backrub (sleaze)
Against normal enemies, these skills simply deal damage. However, against flipped out enemies, these skills have a calming function, apparently reversing the flipped-out state. It is unknown whether the element of the spell has any bearing on its ability to calm.