Fax machine strategy
The fax machine, located in the Clan VIP Lounge, allows players to summon photocopies of monsters, potentially including any monster copied by users connected to their clan's fax network. This page lists some of the most effective fax targets ("faxes") in the game for pathless ascensions. Special challenge path runs may benefit from different strategies, or may block access to the fax machine altogether; see the appropriate path strategy page for details. See copying strategy for targets that would need to be faxed multiple times.
The player-sponsored faustbot and Easyfax accounts retain copies of most of the interesting fax targets, and can deliver them on demand to your clan's fax machine. Faustbot or Easyfax must be whitelisted into your clan for this to work.
Over time, other fax-like sources of on-demand monster summoning have entered the game. Keep in mind that in Standard-restricted runs, the fax machine is not available, but some of the following sources may be.
- The painting in Chateau Mantegna allows you to summon the last monster you've painted with an Alpine watercolor set. Because the painting persists through ascension, much of the fax strategy below applies.
- Using a Time-Spinner to Travel to a Recent Fight operates like a fax, but with the limitation that it only summons monsters you've naturally encountered during the current ascension. As such, its function is more similar to copying.
- Using a genie bottle to wish for a fight allows you to summon almost any copyable monster at will (and even some uncopyable ones.)
- In the Heavy Rains challenge path, the skill Rain Man allows you to make a copy of any copyable monster you have encountered in any Heavy Rains run, in addition to any copyable monsters you have at least casually researched (at least 1 factoid) if you have a Monster Manuel installed.
These faxes directly reduce the number of turns required to complete quests, and the benefit gained from faxing them can't be gained in any other way. Monsters are listed in roughly the order you'd fax them.
|writing desk||/w faustbot writing_desk||Partial Spookyraven Manor unlock||Yes||None||Requires 4 copies. Allows skipping The Haunted Kitchen, The Haunted Billiards Room and The Haunted Library.|
|sleepy mariachi||/w faustbot sleepy_mariachi||Item drops, Moxie stats||No||Yellow ray||Saves several powerleveling turns for Moxie classes; makes the best Fairies in the game|
|ghost||/w faustbot ghost||digital key||Yes||150% items||Saves ~15+ turns in the 8-Bit Realm when copied if you can't access Fear Man's Level|
|ninja snowman assassin||/w faustbot ninja_assassin||Level 8 quest||Yes||Survival||Saves ~12 turns (or 3 pulls) when copied twice|
|Orcish Frat Boy Spy||/w faustbot frat_spy||Level 12 quest and/or the Nuns trick||No||234% items||- Saves 1-2 yellow rays, depending on if you need anything from The Hippy Store|
- Saves 8 turns if it frees up resources that enable the Nuns trick
|dirty thieving brigand||/w faustbot brigand||The Nuns trick||No||Frat war outfit||Saves 8 turns during the war; only necessary when non-arrow copying is not available (i.e. Hardcore when an unfinished ice sculpture is unavailable)|
|lobsterfrogman||/w faustbot lobsterfrogman||Sonofa Beach quest||No||None||Saves ~4 turns (and lots of RNG swing) over finding each one manually |
(per copy, up to a total of ~20 turns for 5 copies)
Niche / Quality of Life
These faxes can be helpful, even if they're not strictly optimal.
|Monster||FaxBot Message||Purpose|| Needs
|1000 ML butt||/w faustbot bigbutt||Substats||No||Survival||For players who want lots of substats on turn 1|
|Bailey's Beetle||/w faustbot baileys||(see Notes)||No||Yellow ray||A multi-purpose quality of life fax; provides some substats, the full War Hippy Fatigues, and a powerful shield|
|sleepy mariachi||/w faustbot sleepy_mariachi||Item drops||No||Yellow ray||For non-Moxie classes, a spangle-fam is still fantastic for item drops and Potato blocking|
|Blooper||/w faustbot blooper||digital key||No||Olfaction
|To kick off Olfaction; hugely inferior to Fear Man's Level or the ghost fax, but does not require any extra IotMs|
|Semi-Rare Monsters||/w faustbot kge
/w faustbot miner
/w faustbot baabaaburan
|Knob Goblin Elite Guard Uniform
Up to 400% items
|In case you weren't able to structure your SRs around them, or if your path blocks fortune cookies|
|mountain man||/w faustbot mountain_man||Drops ore||Yes||150% items for one of each ore, YR for two of each||Alternative to mining or clovering ores|
|modern zmobie||/w faustbot modern_zmobie||The Defiled Alcove||Yes||None||Saves several turns in the Alcove over encountering them directly|
|remains of a jilted mistress||/w faustbot jilted||antique hand mirror||No||150% items||Saves several turns hunting for One Nightstand (Wooden) for Myst classes, if powerleveling in the Haunted Bathroom is desired.|
|Bad ASCII Art,
rampaging adding machine
|/w faustbot ascii
/w faustbot adding_machine
|A Quest, LOL||Varies||None||For players who want the Meat from this quest or want to copy the ASCII art for 31337 scrolls|
- You can only use one photocopied monster per day.
- You can use photocopied monsters while falling-down drunk.
- The smut orc pervert used to be the best turn-saving fax target until it become uncopyable on August 14, 2013.
|Rankings:||HC Skills - HC Familiars - HC IotMs|
|General:||Class selection - Familiar usage - Semi-rares - Clovers|
|Paths:||BHY - Fist - AoB - BI - ZS - AoJ - BIG! - KOLHS - CA2 - AoSP - SS - HR - Picky - Ed - Random - AoWoL - Source - NA - GN - LtA - L.A.R. - PF - G-Lover - DD|
|IotMs:||Tomes - Faxing - Copying - YR - Garden - Correspondent - Workshed - Tea party - Florist|