The Elements of... Elements
Everything in the Kingdom of Loathing is composed of the five basic elements: hot, cold, spooky, stench, and sleaze. Although most monsters in the Kingdom show no preference for or aversion from any particular element, many monsters, such as the demons in Pandamonium Slums or the undead enemies in The Cyrpt, have an affinity for one element or another. Additionally, adventurers can make use of certain spells and accessories to harness the power of the elements.
The elements exist in a delicate balance, and each one can cause great harm to foes of opposing elements, while dealing 1 damage to enemies of the same element. The following is a breakdown of how each element performs against every other one.
Each element deals normal damage against the other two, and negligible damage against itself.
Adventurers with Hotform, Coldform, Spookyform, Stenchform, or Sleazeform will themselves become aligned to the corresponding element, inflicting all of their damage using that element and resisting all but 1 damage of that type (but also becoming vulnerable to double damage from the two elements that are strong against your chosen elemental form).
Determining Monster Elemental Type
As new monsters appear in the kingdom, the monster's element must be determined and added to its Data. Monster Manuel shows a monster's elemental alignment after you defeat one. If you don't have Monster Manuel, any source of prismatic damage will reveal the monster's element alignment. Damage from its element will be reduced to 1, and the two elements its vulnerable will be doubled. For example, if you were using an Sword of Dark Omens, you would get the following damage:
Non-Standard Elements are not considered true elements, as they are dealt only by certain monsters (and never by players). In addition, these monsters have no weaknesses or vulnerabilities to any other element (whether standard or non-standard), although some of them are vulnerable to certain types of attacks.
For more information, as well as a list of non-standard elements, see this page.
- The first three Pastamancer attack spells inflict either physical or random elemental damage. With Flavour of Magic active, it is possible to restrict them to a specific element. Weapon of the Pastalord does physical damage unless tuned, in which case it will do half physical and half tuned. Note that elemental pasta spells will never be the same as a monster's resistance; e.g., Ravioli Shurikens will never randomly deal hot damage against a hot monster.
- The books Codex of Capsaicin Conjuration, Gazpacho's Glacial Grimoire, Necrotelicomnicon, Sinful Desires, and Cookbook of the Damned change the non-element-specific portions of Pastamancer attack spells to hot, cold, spooky, sleaze, and stench damage, respectively, when equipped in the off-hand slot.
- The Codex of Capsaicin Conjuration, Gazpacho's Glacial Grimoire, Cookbook of the Damned, Sinful Desires, and Necrotelicomnicon do not change the damage of spells if a player is affected by Hotform, Coldform, Sleazeform, Stenchform, or Spookyform. Likewise, Flavour of Magic and change the style of spell, but not the type of damage dealt (for example, summoning hot sauce that deals Spooky Damage under Spookyform).
- The relationships between these 5 elements (namely, the weaknesses between each one) strongly resemble those of the Five Elements of Chinese philosophy.
- Jick made a game on asymmetric.net based on this site, which resembles the star.