Drunkenness (or Tipsiness, Inebriety, or Temulency) is a measure of how drunk you are. As opposed to fullness and spleen, you are allowed to become drunk beyond the limit allowed for adventuring, which is, by default, 14. When this occurs, you become "falling-down drunk" and will only encounter Drunken Stupor adventures instead of normal adventures in most zones. Drunkenness is reset to zero each day at rollover, and upon Ascension.
Most Drunkenness comes from booze, but you can also gain drunkenness from adventures in:
- The Orcish Frat House (while disguised)
- Barrrney's Barrr (from choice adventures which make it avoidable)
- Noob Cave (Bad Moon only)
- A Barroom Brawl (Bad Moon only)
Or from using:
Liver Capacity Modifiers
These change how much drunkenness you can sustain before becoming falling-down drunk.
|Capacity modifier||Value of modifier||Notes|
|Liver of Steel||+5||
|Being Sneaky Pete||+5||
|Soberness Injection Pen||+2|
|Stooper||+1||Bonus liver capacity only applies when familiar is active|
|Drinking to Drink||+1||
|Being an Avatar of Jarlsberg||-5||
|Being any Avatar of West of Loathing||-5||
|Being an Avatar of Boris||-10||
|Being a Zombie Slayer||-10||
|Having a License to Adventure||-11 to -1||
|Being in a Nuclear Autumn||-12||
|Being a Gelatenous Noob||-15||
The following items or adventures can reduce your current drunkenness.
|Drunkenness modifier||Value of modifier||Notes|
|Ultra Mega Sour Ball||-3||
|Alien plant pod||-3||Once each day only.|
|cuppa Sobrie tea||-1||Once each day only, and only if you actually are drunk.|
|synthetic dog hair pill||-1||Once each day only, and only if you actually are drunk.|
|Choosing "Go the the fourth floor" in The Towering Inferno Discotheque||-1||
|The Plumber's mushroom stew||-1||
|Calculate the Universe||-1 (sometimes)|
|Get out of drunk free card||Varies||
On St. Sneaky Pete's Day, you can drink green beer as long as you are less than eleven points above your ordinary maximum capacity; should you reach 26 or more drunkenness by this or any other means, you will adventure at St. Sneaky Pete's Day Stupor in lieu of the general Drunken Stupor.
When you are within 5 drunkenness of your current limit, your character pane (in full mode but not compact mode) will display the message:
- You'd better keep an eye on your drinking.
When you have met or exceeded your current drunkenness limit, your character pane (in full mode) will display the message:
- You are falling-down drunk.
Whenever your drunkenness is enough for a message about your drunkenness to be displayed in your character pane, your messages in chat will also occasionally be followed by "-hic-".
If you attempt to drink more booze while falling-down drunk, you instead receive the message:
- You're way too drunk already.
While falling-down drunk, in addition to not being able to encounter normal adventures, you also cannot:
- train your familiars at the Cake-Shaped Arena
- become Half-Astral
- adventure in Fernswarthy's Basement
- mine in Itznotyerzitz Mine, Anemone Mine, or The Knob Shaft
- gamble at the Casino (But you can play the Money Making Game when falling down drunk)
- smash barrels in the Barrel full of Barrels
- gaze into an empty agua de vida bottle
- use a BRICKO monster
- record a song in the Island Barracks
- drink any more!
While you cannot adventure normally while falling-down drunk, there are several ways you can still use adventures:
- You can exercise your stats or rest in the Clan Rumpus Room.
- You can raise stats at the Gym, the Institute for Canadian Studies, or with Gnirf, the World's Sneakiest Gnome, depending on your moon sign.
- You can cook and make cocktails. Note that this still doesn't use adventures if you have a Chef-in-the-box or a Bartender-in-the-box, respectively.
- You used to be able to kick food up a notch with the Wok of Ages, before an update made it no longer a thing. BAM!
- You can smith items.
- You can go trick-or-treating on Halloween.
- You can enter The Tunnel of L.O.V.E..
- You can rest at the Campground.
- You may still randomly encounter monsters on El Dia de Los Muertos Borrachos and the Feast of Boris.
- You used to be able to go stargazing at the LAAAAME Observatory, before it was destroyed by the Comet.
- You can operate the machinery in the Dwarven Machine Room.
- You can summon demons at the Summoning Chamber.
- As a Sauceror, you can collect up to 10 basic vials of slime per day on Earl's Boat after defeating your Nemesis.
- You can game at the Game Grid Arcade, the Porko Palace, or play Alice's Army.
- You can go spelunking via the Tales of Spelunking.
- You can use a reflection of a map to gain a Moment of Reflection.
- You can Vamp Out, but only by using plastic vampire fangs. (Interview With You (a Vampire) can not be read while falling-down drunk.)
- You can Play With Your ChibiBuddy™.
- You can help Bart Ender at the Typical Tavern, after completing the Typical Tavern Quest.
- You can investigate Lost in the Great Overlook Lodge after using rusty hedge trimmers.
- You can fight either boss at the Dreadsylvanian Castle.
- You can do more damage to Count Drunkula when massively overdrunk.
- You could choose to build and deploy a Crimbot, during the appropriate world event.
- You can go Deep Inside Grimace or Ronald, Giggity-giggity.
- You can help Richard at Richard's Redoubt.
- You can draw from the Deck of Every Card and fight the monsters contained therein.
- You can scavenge for gym equipment in the Boxing Daycare.
You can also enter into combat by using certain items:
- You can use Cap'm Caronch's Map to encounter a booty crab.
- You can use a drum machine to fight a giant sandworm.
- You can use cursed pieces of thirteen to fight scary pirates.
- You can fight a black pudding, if attempting to eat one results in a fight.
- You can use a Spooky Putty monster, a shaking 4-d camera or a photocopied monster.
- You may use Drunkula's wineglass to do most normal adventures.
- Seal Clubbers can summon and fight Infernal Seals. This does not consume an adventure, but can only be done five times a day (or ten with Claw of the Infernal Seal).
- You can use a Lynyrd snare to fight a Lynyrd.
- You can talk to Dr. Gordon Stuart, a Scientist and fight an Eldritch Tentacle.
- There are leaderboards in the Museum for the drunkest player, and for the most hungover player (who was the drunkest player yesterday).
- Since most drunkenness is gained while gaining adventures, it is standard strategy to become falling-down drunk at the end of every day and let the gained adventures roll over as the drunkenness is removed.
- Going to the Trophy Hut with 1000 or more drunkenness allows one to purchase the Little Chickadee trophy.
- It is commonly believed that Drunkenness increases the chance of a player fumbling, however this is not the case.
- The amount of drunkenness determines the effectiveness, on the following day, of the Antihangover effect from a hair of the fish.
- Having Drunkula's wineglass from the Dreadsylvania clan dungeon equipped allows adventuring "normally" while falling-down drunk. The negatives the wine glass has, including preventing the use of spells and combat items, make these adventures somewhat abnormal.
- Your level of drunkenness affects your Pool Skill.
- Drunkenness affects your fight with Count Drunkula.
- In paths that have a higher liver capacity (namely, Avatar of Sneaky Pete and License to Adventure), you can drink to that capacity before breaking the prism, and your drunkenness will be set to your new capacity afterwards. However, if you are overdrunk before breaking the prism, you will still be overdrunk after.