Simply put, a bot is anything that automates the actions of a player. In addition to automating tasks like adventuring, there are bots that provide a wide variety of services, such as automatically selling buffs, cooking, chatting, rolling dice, and regulating games.
Types of Bots
This type of bot automates a player's adventuring. This can be done via a repeater script, or an application such as KoLmafia.
For more information, see Tools.
A buffbot is a bot that sells buffs to other player. Each buff is usually associated with a certain amount of meat. Some buffbots offer free buffs, while others offer buffs for trivial amounts of meat.
For more information, see Buffbots.
A chatbot is, generically, a bot that responds in chat to commands given in chat.
- chatbot (#142302) is easily the most famous bot in the kingdom. Among many other things, she rolls dice, announces radio songs in /radio, and responds to certain lines in open chat.
A clanbot attempts to automate clan features.
Occasional uses for clanbots include announcing arrivals, exits, and ascensions, automatically attacking other clans in clan warfare, logging chat, relaying forum posts, and recording leaderboards.
An "anti-looter bot" takes out and stores all items in a clan's stash; an outside-KoL web interface is used by a clan member to withdraw items from the bot. This gives a clan customized control over the clan's stash and how its contents are distributed.
A chefbot cooks for other players, sometimes for meat and sometimes for free.
A gamebot is a bot which runs a type of game, which may or may not involve gambling.
A mallbot is a bot whose main function is to monitor mall prices. Mallbots may try to play the market by buying and selling items in an attempt to make meat.
A mallbot that goes beyond the searching-only directive is more accurately called a "buybot".
Some mallbots can be used to look up the cheapest selling price of an item in the mall by messaging them.
A pulverizing bot smashes or combines items for players who do not have the Pulverize skill or access to The Malus of Forethought.
- smashbot (#1533476) is a pulverizing bot with single-level Malus functionality.
- wadbot (#1666580) is a pulverizing bot with many features for both smashing and Malusing; it is run by the clan Prolific.
A shorebot was a type of bot that would check player profiles to determine which players were adventuring at the shore (their adventures would be rapidly decreasing by 3). The public profile page used to update live, rather than once a day at rollover. PvPers could then use the information to attack other PvPers who were shoring; they would do this because most players are not buffed when they are shoring, as buffs do not affect the shoring results.
Shorebots would "hammer" on player profiles, which increased lag; so, the profile pages were changed to update only once a day. Jick's rant on the shorebots is considered one of the most infamous moments in radio history.
A spambot is used to mass message players via chat and/or messaging, usually in an attempt to recruit members for a clan, begz0r for meat, or be a jackass. This usually leads to a lot of baleeting and a possible account disabling.
A positive use of a spambot is called a "Mass-Messaging Bot" or a "Giftbot". This type of bot is used to distribute meat and/or items to other players via messaging or gifts.
- FaxBot (#2194132) will deliver any of a wide variety of monsters to your clan's Fax Machine, provided that it's whitelisted.
- Haiku Oracle (#464776), brought to you by The Blues, is a multi-purpose bot that operates in /haiku. For more information, /msg Haiku_Oracle help.
- itembot (#1262390) is a bot that sells many items available from NPC stores at a discount. Transactions are carried out by KMailing a designated amount of meat, in much the same way as buffbots operate. For more information, see itembot's profile or Display Case.
- kBay (#1430540) is a bot by Turias that runs auctions via KMail; there is a related website that lists current auctions in an eBay style. See kBay's profile for more information and link to instructions.
- sellbot (#1053259) is an automated selling bot. After opening a trading account with the bot, players can send it items via KMail, and the bot will sell them items in the Mall or The Flea Market. sellbot takes a cut of the profits, including any applicable listing prices from the Flea Market. Much of the interaction with sellbot is via chat, including a free pricing service, which keeps track of current mall price ranges. For more information, see sellbot's profile or Display Case.
- TrustBot (#824385) is a bot run by CDMoyer; it is similar to the old repbot. See TrustBot's profile for more information and a link to the current trust rankings.
Creating a Bot
Some bots can be implemented via small scripts, while others are complex applications.
- KoLBot is generic bot that was developed by Fnord7, the creator of chatbot.
- pykol is a general-purpose bot development kit for Python.